DOVELL circa 1817 to ?
William Dovell married Maria Pile in 1817 in Brendon and they went to live at Hoar Oak Cottage where they had a son, William born in 1819.
Three further children were born but it is not certain if this was at Hoar Oak Cottage.
There are family links between the Dovell and Vellacott families and it seems highly likely that William and Maria, as a newly married couple in need of a home, followed on at Hoar Oak when Charles and Elizabeth Vellacott left (link). The Dovell families found in the villages in north west Exmoor were nearly all small yeoman farmers – some more substantial than others but all independent land owners.
William Dovell (junior) married Ann Sloley and i the 1849 and 1861 censuses records the family at Ashford Barton, Brendon where the family is listed as: William Dovell born 1819 at Hoar Oak Cottage, Ann his wife born in Brendon, Agnes b1850, Emma b1856, Emilia b1860 and William Dovell, widower, b1790 in Lynton. This would appear to be our Hoar Oak William, father of baby William born at Hoar Oak in 1819 – now widowed and living with grown up William and his family at Ashford Barton, Brendon.
Thanks to Patrick Bird who got in touch after reading an item in the Devon Family History Society journal and sharing his researches on his Dovell ancestors in North Devon. In addition to the information about the Dovell family at Hoar Oak Cottage Patrick has also shared the following information:
- John Dovell of Parracombe married Elizabeth Pile in 1731
- They had a son William born in 1741 at Parracombe
- William married Joan Lord of Martinhoe in November 1763 at Brendon
- At the time of marriage they already had a son William born in August 1763 who was named William Dovell Lord but who later assumed the name William Dovell. William and Joan had several more children
- William Dovell married Agnes of Lynton (no date) and their first child was another William born in 1789
- William married Maria Pile in 1817 in Brendon and went to live at Hoar Oak Cottage where they had a son William born in 1819 at the cottage.
If you have information to share please contact us.